Morley History

  
                
    
                



   

Photos from inside the church

   
Completed in 1871, the Morley Trinity Episcopal Church was designed to be an exact replica of a 13th century English Gothic church frequented by Thomas Harison, a Morley farmer, before coming to America.

The church walls are made of brick two feet thick with a native stone on the exterior.  Local stone was also used to carve the altar and font.  The pulpit and pews were carved in Morley by an early member of the congregation.  Above the altar was installed a stained glass window imported from England in the 1870's.  Much of the floor is comprised of stone flagging.  The church's first recorded baptism occurred on this day, November 14th in 1869.
  

The Morley grist mill is one of the last vestiges of 19th century industry that was crucial to the survival of early St. Lawrence County residents.  Built in 1840 by Thomas Harison, the mill was constructed of stone taken from Harison's quarry in Morley.  Local families took the grist of wheat, oats, barley and shelled corn to the mill where four runs of millstones ground the grain into various flours.  For several months of the year, the process continued day and night.  Operations ceased in 1935.

Also from Morley history, on this day -- August 4th in 1962 -- the Morley postal station opened as part of the Canton postal district.

 



Trinity Episcopal Church

  

   

 

The Morley grist mill